About Dr. Iyer
Mary Ann (Wallace) Iyer, M.D. is a licensed physician and author whose primary focus is mindbody and spiritual healing. In addition to her medical degree, she holds a Master's Degree in Psychology with an emphasis in holistic health.
A pioneer in the field of mindbody medicine, Dr. Iyer has extensive training and experience with numerous holistic healing modalities, including meditation, breathwork, imagery, dreamwork, acupressure, process-oriented psychology, vision quests, therapeutic touch, and herbology.
From 2002-2010, Dr. (Wallace) Iyer served as the Medical Director for the Division of Integrative Medicine, which she developed within a large regional hospital medical system. As a leader who focuses on empowering others, she takes a uniquely spiritual approach to classic challenges such as conflict resolution, building trust, learning new communication skills, and developing healthy relationships.
Dr. Mary has led workshops and classes on spirituality in medicine and mindbody issues since 1982. She is an accomplished and engaging speaker who has given more than 300 lectures on complementary, alternative and integrative medicine to medical professionals and lay persons. She is frequently invited to be a keynote speaker at conferences in the United States and Canada
- 2012 to present: Part-time holistic health practice – currently at Elk Haven Wellness Center, Brevard, NC. In addition, during this time, I have served as:
- Faculty at the Daoist Traditions College for Chinese Medicine, Asheville, NC, teaching HealthCare Ethics for Health Professionals
- Part-time Faculty instructor for OM Sanctuary, Asheville, NC
- Part-time instructor and mentor for students at Warren Wilson College
- Consultant for Oregon Medical Board, reviewing physician cases
- 7/11 to 8/12: Consultant for Department of Disabilities, State of Oregon
- 2000 to 2010: I worked at Samaritan Health Services, Corvallis, OR in the following capacities:
- Medical Director of Samaritan Division of Integrative Medicine, Corvallis, OR
- Internal Medicine Physician, Samaritan Internal Medicine, Corvallis, OR.
- 1997 to 2000: Internal Medicine Resident Physician, Oregon Health Sciences University Portland, Oregon
- 1990 to 1994: TB Program Manager / Epidemiologist, Oregon Health Division, Portland, Oregon
Professional Education and Licensure
• 2000: Board Certification in Internal Medicine
• 1997: Oregon Medical License
• 1997: M.D. from Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, OR
• 1984: M.A. in Psychology, Antioch University, Seattle, WA
• 1977: B.S. in Nursing, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ
Current Professional Affiliations
• 2003–2010: American Holistic Medical Association
• 1996–present: Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
• 1995–2006: American College of Physicians
• 1995–2005: American Society of Internal Medicine